Sunday, January 13, 2013

Now that introductions are over I will start with some details.

January 7th, 2013 was the official 6 month kick-off of my training for IMCDA. My training repertoire will consist of 3 swims per week, 4 bikes per week and 5 runs per week. Something I didn't anticipate, since I've never done this before, is that 6 months means starting out with low miles and building up, which seemed obvious after I thought about it; however, I was not anticipating 1.5 mile runs or 6 mile bikes. You will not hear me complain about this!

The way a training plan works: I will increase my mileage every week for three weeks, then week four is a recovery week. Mileage increases over 6 months at approximately 10%/week. After I set up my 6 month plan I took a look at the last big month; the month where my mileage will reach its peak in all three disciplines. I have to be honest, I'm pretty intimidated. Biking alone for that month is 815 miles. There will be days I will spend 8 hours on my bike, or 4 hours running or 2 hours swimming. What I look forward to is seeing the progression in my ability to accomplish this mileage. Training is all about the daily accomplishments that bring me to the place where I can cover serious distance. It's something I love about what I do. 

My first week will wrap up today when I finally get the gumption to run 2.5 miles. I'm also scheduled for a long swim 2700 yards, but I putting that off this week. Why am I choosing to do that? Good question. Putting off long workouts is a bad plan. My 2.5 year online triathlon mentor, Steve, says never miss a long workout and I work hard to follow his sound advice. But on Wednesday of this last week I was introduced to a swimming coach named Chris. It turns out he coaches people specifically on swimming technique, which happens to be the type of coaching I have been looking for the last couple years. So I decided to put off today's swim in lieu of learning proper technique starting this coming Wednesday. 

Today I was reading a book called "10-Minute Toughness" by Jason Selk and the lesson was all about self-talk. The author was highlighting the difference he saw in athletes who spent their time having negative thoughts vs. positive thoughts. He asks the reader to come up with a 'Performance Statement', which is a quick one or two sentence saying that can be repeated to help direct your thoughts in a positive direction. It made me think of pointing positive or when scripture says to renew your mind. Basically it's all the same. It made me think back to my Half-Ironman in September. I had just finished the bike portion and was heading out on the run. Vivian, my dear friend, yells to me "You are a runner; this is what you do!" We had talked about it earlier and I had mentioned to her that saying those words to myself has been helpful to me in my training, so when she remembered and yelled it out to me I was filled with peace. I knew I was going to make it. I was ready for this because I had trained for it. So my 'Performance Statement' is "This is what I do! I swim! I bike! I run! We (being my body) are trained for this!"

This is long winded and random. I hope to get better at sharing highlights and having continuity as I continue writing, but as I said before I'm not hoping to write an amazing blog. Just sharing the journey with friends.

The Lord bless you and keep you!

Current week actual distances:
S:  
3600.00 Yd
1h 35m 25s
B: 
51.37 Mi
3h 35m 26s
R:  
7.80 Mi
58m 08s

Upcoming week planned distances:
S:  
6900.00 Yd
2h 31m
B: 
67.30 Mi
4h 30m
R:  
12.40 Mi
2h 31m
 
 
 

1 comment: