In 2006 I was sitting next to my friend, Tim, watching athletes cross the finish line at the Coeur D Alene, Idaho Ironman (IMCDA), when he leans over to me and asks "Doesn't this make you want to do one?" The only response I had was, "yes!" I didn't know why I said yes; other than watching the athletes brought tears to my eyes because I was in awe at the discipline I knew these people had in order to accomplish such a goal. At the time saying yes was more of an emotional reaction than me actually believing I wanted to do such a thing. Who really ever says "I want to swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, then run a marathon (26.2 miles) in 17 hours or less?" (More people than I would have thought.)
It's been seven years since I said a very emotional "yes", and let me tell you something important...be careful what you say yes too..ha!
Since that day God began changing me. As I reflect back I see His work, his gentle leading and guiding. The people He placed in my life who would provide me with the encouragement, coaching, and challenge I would need. God took me at my word -- and when I said that very emotionally charged "yes!" He heard the deeper cry of my heart. The cry to be a person who chose to be disciplined; to not be the sloth or glutton Proverbs talks so much about. The conviction to be the new me, in Christ, was already in my heart; He had prepared me. He was now providing me with the tools to fulfill the desire in my heart - to train and participate in IMCDA.
The date is now set for June 23, 2013, and the purpose of this blog is to share with you the final six months leading up to the big day. I don't intend to write the most amazing blog with all the bells and whistles, but I do plan to tell you about my training, my thoughts, the challenges/successes, what I am learning, memories relating to this journey that pop into my mind and, most importantly, I want to show Jesus working in my life. I know my journey would have ended before it began if I weren't being perfected and made new through my relationship with Him.
I hope you enjoy sharing this journey with me as I enjoy sharing it with you.
Here are a couple youtube videos to check out:
This is a video of the Ironman World Championship in Hawaii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wZFo10F_Cs
This one is 30 minutes long, but I know several of the people in the video. Derek Garcia taught a swimming class I took - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzM5wVErb0&list=PL20BC1CE57ED6ED71
No comments:
Post a Comment