Sunday, March 31, 2013

Week 12 - Half-way

In my last blog I told you I would answer the question, "Why do I do this?" As I have thought about it I found the question more challenging than I expected. Really, why would anyone intentionally chase after a dream that requires potentially 17 grueling hours of working out. Then while I was out on my 40 mile ride today, Resurrection Day, I found, at least, part of the answer - I have also been resurrected! I am a new person and the old me is passing away, ever so slowly ;).  I've been told I can accomplish anything Jesus calls me to do, so I guess in a way I'm holding Him to his promises and training for the Ironman is my way of saying "Jesus, I believe you." That's why I do this! And there are so many other benefits that keep me moving forward, but that's for some other day.

Over the last twelve weeks I've had lots of time to reflect while biking for fours hours or running for two, and something I've wanted to do is thank some of the people for the impact they have had on my life. In a variety of ways these people inspired me, challenged me, directed me, encouraged me, taught me, waited for me, and so many other things. My deepest thanks to each of you for being part of my journey to IM before any of us knew if I would really do it:

Vivian Churchill-Browne: I remember going on a run with you and several others my first year of Explore. It became clear within seconds I was not going to keep up with the group, but I trudged on hoping I would be able to complete the entire loop before class started. Alas, I realized it was impossible so I turned around. I remember fighting the feelings of embarrassment, anger and shame for not be capable and being left alone. Then out of nowhere you showed back up. You finished the entire loop with the group, then you came back to finish the run with me. It meant the world to me then and it still does today. Thank you for continuing to circle back to me even today!

Kayleen Offringa: The list is long, but two stories stick out to me. The first was running my first 5k with you by my side the entire way and providing conversation and incredible encouragement for me to accomplish something I'd never done before (BTW, I've still not run 5k as fast as I did that day). The other big impact was our walk up the road to Siegel pass that started at 5:30 a.m. On that walk you said, "Samantha, you believe if you can do it anyone else should also be able to. But that's not true because you are stronger than you realize. Not everyone/anyone can do what you can do." Those words echo in my head two years later and remind me I'm strong. You are such a dear friend to me.

Reuben Stratford: You asked me if I'd be interested in helping clear a trail for mountain biking. I told you I didn't know how to mountain bike and that I was not so sure I would do well. Over the next couple years you taught me how to bike, waited for me when I was walking my bike uphill and many other times, made sure I came along anytime I wanted to regardless of whether I would or wouldn't be good at it. Because you gave of your time I gained a confidence that has made me a competent rider and I still ride with your words rattling around in my head "Look at where you want to go, not where you don't want to go; roll through it, don't put your feet down." Thanks!

Tara Hearing: You have an unshakable belief in the abilities of others and over the course of 13 years you have never failed to be the one who believes I can do anything I want to do. The quote you put on the water bottle are the words that stick with me: "Always remember: You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." You're belief in me moves me to believe in me. Thank you!

On a personal note, please pray if you think about me. I have been dealing with fear and a general lack of motivation. I've been getting in training, but not as much as I have planned. I want to be faithful in the daily grind when my body or emotions are trying to get me to do otherwise.

Thanks for reading, and Happy Jesus is Risen day!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! great post. I love the connections you are making to resurrection, sanctification, hope and patience. GO Samantha GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah! It is quite the journey and I'm always thankful when I make connections because they don't come as naturally as other things do for me. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete